Monday, May 28, 2007

Cqistina's Birthday Party Part 1

Yesterday was Qisty's 4 th birthday party. She wanted a barbie cake and I asked around. Cake with print of barbie's face would cost around RM52, with a doll would be 100 plus or minus a doll. I surfed the net and lo behold, so many websites on how to make a barbie cake. The best website was the homemade cakes websites. They have like 5 pages of barbie cakes photo ideas. My first reaction was- can I actually make the cake. Yelah, I had to look up on how to do the butter icing, I had a book on cake decorating bought eons ago but never tried. I did try to make icing for MIL's b'day- the kids tried to decorate - but it didn't turn out right. I even had trouble making cakes- was it the oven or the mixer? ( I used to have kenwood chef mixer bought in UK- cost 99 pounds then- in Malaysia 1000- and the cakes always turn out beautifully- but then it went kaput on me 5 yeras ago..) My oven, round glass type.. baking other things always turn out ok- muffins , pizzas, biscuits but cake ni tak taulah.. always the centre not cooked ( with whirl like pattern on it ). I scout around recipes for chocolate moist cake. Recipezar has lots of interesting ones... but I should have known you can't mold such cakes. but I wanted to try anyway... So Victoria Sandwich cake it was. I told kakak, the first cake that I baked was a victoria sandwich cake. I remember sharing the recipe with Shila when we were thirteen.





My next worry was icing. Butter icing- I don't have the nerve to use for the dress. I found a wonderful marshmallow fondant recipe off the net and beautiful barbie cakes using it. I thot of making marshmallow - bought the ingredients - but then I found halal ones from australia at cold storage. Bought a mould that would be good for the dress but it was shorter than barbie, so I had to bake another cake below it. By friday I had all the ingredient ready. Planned to make the cake after work but too tired. On Saturday baked the Victoria sandwich cake in the barbie dress mold, And A chocolate moist cake for the bottom part.. but the chocolate moist cake was a disaster, too moist to do anything with but taste terrific. The kids made chocolate muffins for their cousins and off we went to my mum's with oven and ingredients. On the way dropped by Alamanda for birthday girl's dress. Found beautiful dresses at Lovely lace and hamsters but - beyond my budget, so went to Parkson instead- Secret Graden. Found a beautiful pink one which cost half the price - 30% discount for Bonus link members. Qisty satisfied, we went back to Lovely lace for flowers on her hair. I chose a small one with a band but she wanted the flower girl like head gear. Belilah...





The next morning went to small wet market and a few shops in Ampang , last minute search for few ingredients , me- more icing sugar and caster sugar- ida- milk for puff pastry- zaidah durian for the Roti jala sauce.





After breakfast, I started to make the plat form barbie. Cake turned out too soft and Barbie was still too tall for the cake. While adjusting the cake broke.. Wah.. in the end cut off a bit of its leg. Should have taken out the whole leg and leave barbie's torso instead.





Melted the marshmallow, put in icing sugar and knead the fondant. Colour one part pink and left one part white. Put on purple butter icing- don't know why I put this colour- then the white fondant and then tried for ages to mold the outer pink part of the dress. Still looked unfinished, ida suggested that I put on the heart decoratings on them, while mum's maid nurul, who is so creative, put on sugar beads shaped like butterfly and other finishing touch to the cake. I put on wafer rose flowers around its imperfections and wala... we had the cake made.





Usually I would cook the whole thing on the menu, assisted by my maid but this time around, as I was engrossed with the cake, my sister's and brother's maid cooked the Mee curry sauce, the soto.





How the cake turn out.

3 comments:

Dad of Four said...

Wah...dahsyat the cake!! Bley buat Ferarri F1 car tak?

halwafy said...

Well done on your first try!I myself have never tried to deco with fondant but have intention in the future..heheh..

Yours prove that mummies can really do anything that they put their hearts into huh? :)

Hope your daughter had a good birthday.

Minahsongeh said...

Thanks haq and halwafy. Ferrari car- I can try. I always try to either bake, cook or sew for my kids. Pity them tho, the things I made for them sometimes look well you know homemade. But when they are reasonably ok looking/ taste -the look on their face - priceless.

Thank you- Tina enjoyed her birthday